Tips for Tourists
San Francisco Cares
San Francisco is improving its response to street homelessness and unhealthy street behavior.
The City (http://hsh.sfgov.org) is dedicating significant resources to connect people in crisis to the services they need while maintaining clean and safe streets. Below are some important facts and resources that we encourage you to use during your visit.
Be Smart, Be Safe
Follow these tips for a safe visit:
- Keep your eyes up, your ears open, and your phone down when exploring San Francisco. This will lower the chance of theft and keep you safe on San Francisco’s busy streets.
- Use your instincts when exploring. Make sure you know where you’re going before you head out and, if possible, travel with a friend.
- Do your part to prevent a car break-in. Always lock your car and keep valuables out of sight. If you love it, don’t leave it.
- San Franciscans are knowledgeable, helpful, and friendly. We encourage visitors to ask shopkeepers, hotel staff, or police offi cers for assistance.
San Francisco Public Safety Contacts
Call 311* to:
- Report unsanitary street conditions.
- Request assistance for someone in need of non-emergency services.
- Report a crime that has already happened.
Call 911* to:
- Report a crime in progress.
- Report an emergency situation.
- Request help for someone having a medical or psychiatric emergency.
For visitors with phone numbers outside San Francisco’s 415 area code, dial 415.701.2311 or use the SF311 mobile app.
How You Can Help
We appreciate those visitors who report on these matters. You’re helping us make San Francisco a better place for everyone to visit and to live.
There are numerous charitable organizations in San Francisco that work with the City to address homelessness and its associated issues. For a list of where you can give, visit http://give2sf.org/mayorsfund-homeless.
Enjoy your visit to San Francisco!
Organizations You Can Support:
Group Volunteer Opportunities:
Project Homeless Connected
Episcopal Community Services
St. Vincent de Paul Society
Swords to Ploughshares
Larkin Street Youth Services
SF Marin Food Bank
Organizations to Fundraise for:
Tipping Point Community
Project Homeless Connect
Compass Family Services
Community Housing Partnership
Tenderloin Neighborhood Development Corporation
Homeless Prenatal Program