Tips for Tourists
Welcome! San Francisco is known for its diversity and friendliness. Easily walkable, the city’s 47 square miles offer countless attractions and experiences. Nevertheless, like any urban destination worldwide, the city faces challenges with unhealthy street behavior and safety concerns.
Significant resources are being dedicated to address both of these issues. To ensure safer travels not only here, but anywhere you may visit, we offer some suggestions and resources below.
Be Smart, Be Safe
Follow these tips for a safe visit:
- Keep your eyes up, your ears open, and your phone down when exploring San Francisco. This will lower the chance of theft and keep you safer on San Francisco’s busy streets.
- Use your instincts when exploring. Make sure you know where you’re going before you head out and, if possible, travel with a friend.
- Do your part to prevent a car break-in. Always lock your car and keep anything out of sight. If you love it, don’t leave it.
- San Franciscans are knowledgeable, helpful, and friendly. We encourage visitors to ask shopkeepers, hotel staff, or police officers for assistance.
How You Can Help
Call 311* to:
- Report unsanitary street conditions.
- Request assistance for someone in need of non-emergency services.
- Report a crime that has already happened.
Call 911* to:
- Report a crime in progress.
- Report an emergency situation.
- Request help for someone having a medical or psychiatric emergency.
For visitors with phone numbers outside San Francisco’s 415 area code, dial 415.701.2311 or use the SF311 mobile app.
We appreciate those visitors who report on these matters. You're helping us make San Francisco a better place for everyone to visit and to live.
How You Can Give Back
There are numerous charitable organizations in San Francisco that work with the City to address homelessness and its associated issues, including:
Sort produce and pack meals with:
SF Marin Food Bank
Reunite families with:
Help individuals gain job skills with:
Help fight poverty in the Bay Area:
Tipping Point Community